Oh my gosh that sounds pretentious, doesn’t it? But if you asked me to describe myself I’m not sure I wouldn’t say “writer” first and “mother” second. It is the one “title” I have that is all my own not bestowed upon me because of circumstance or society. Writing enables me to do my best mothering. It keeps me true to myself which lets me be true to my sons. All my other roles are just as important: Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend, but they don’t really identify who I am inside.
Blend them all together, though, and you get a writer; and, I’d like to think a better one at that.
I tend to take my writing too seriously, to spend too much time finding the perfect topic, the perfect words. I hope this blog will help me step away from that and do what I should…just write from the heart and start conversations.
Get To Know Me Better – Five Fun Facts
1. I may be “just a girl” but I know my baseball! I love the San Francisco Giants and was an endless source of embarrassment for my younger son as he played high school and travel baseball. I have been known to call out a travel ball umpire for a wrong interpretation of a rule. And I didn’t do it quietly.
2. I am a NY Times Bestsellers List Lover: I put away the classics in college and while I periodically wax nostalgic for Hemmingway and Jane Austin, I can’t resist the lure of fiction by Jonathan Kellerman, John Grisham, Harlan Coben, Jennifer Weiner, and Lauren Weisberger. I also love Stephen King. But he scares me. I gave him up after “IT”.
3. I want to be Kelly Corrigan when I grow up. I solemnly vow to read anything she writes, ever. Go look her up and buy a book. Or listen to her podcasts. Now.
4. I have had a not-so-secret school girl crush on Ben Affleck since 1997. *sigh* I don’t even know why anymore.
5. I am obsessed with loading my dishwasher in a certain way. I’ve been known to completely rearrange it after well-meaning friends and family have put dishes in the wrong way. Yes, the wrong way!